Saturday, May 7, 2011

Volunteer at Last

On Tuesday, May 3rd, at the U.S. Ambassador's residence in Antananarivo, I and 38 other trainees officially became Peace Corps volunteers.  That swearing in ceremony was the culmination of a sometimes exhilarating, usually exhausting, and always tightly scheduled two months of training.

Since I last wrote, so much has happened.  Let me provide you with the highlights, in no particular order...
  • I became sick, terribly sick, for the first time here in Madagascarar during the sixth week of training.  What made things worse is that the entire week I spent feeling miserable was also the week of our first tour of Madagascar.  Spending hours and hours in two very, very full vans we were able to view some amazing sites (including my first lemurs) and meet some amazing individuals. 
  • I, for possibly the first and last time in my life, have become a millionaire.  That is to say, my in country bank account is currently stuffed with $1,092,705.25 Ariary, or the equivalent of roughly $500 U.S. dollars.  With this modest amount I will not only furnish my house, but provide for a month of necessities.  
  • Much to my relief, I have completed the language component of PC training.  All volunteers in Madagascar much reach a level of proficiency called "Intermediate Mid".  With limited, each of us is expected to survive and interact at site.  There is much yet to learn, but training has given us a foundation and the confidence we will need to thrive at site. 
I am writing this blog post at the Peace Corps house in Diego-Suarez, many, many miles of separation from the Madagascar I experienced in training.  The intense heat and the ocean being only two obvious examples.  On Monday, assuming my house has a floor by that time (fingers crossed), I will be officially installed at site.  I have nerves, of course, but I also am immensely excited for the opportunity to live and work in my new community.

On a final note, I want to say a special congratulations to my sister Marg.  Let me, as well, extend that congratulations to other graduates.  Enjoy your day, take pride in your accomplishment, and know that I am wishing you the best.

Until next time,
Ted  

1 comment:

  1. Hi goldie!! (short for golden boy) Just passing along Adam's blog address...http://sites.google.com/site/adamjoshualarson/blog...And I awkwardly told him congrats for you on facebook. Your welcome, love ya! -Ann

    ReplyDelete