Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sometimes I'm Just Not Sure

Language can be confusing for me here in Madagascar.  As an example, I would like to highlight my recent adventure in translating a text message.  A gentleman at my site informed me by text to bring back a 12V battery...I think.  But, as with most anything I read or hear, there were some lingering questions.  For example, ampoly.  It's just not in my dictionary.  Though it sounds electrical, and confirms my suspicion regarding the battery, it is good to be thorough.

Enter the online "Encyclopedia of Madagascar and Malagasy Dictionary." Ominous title, yes, but it's the subtitle which I think is the kicker, "everything known about all Malagasy words."  Perfect, all should include "ampoly".  Here is where my trouble begins anew.  According to this authoritative source, an ampoly is "a shrub used to bring back deserting wives."

I feel that, one way or another, this gentleman will be very disappointed by what I bring back.

1 comment: