Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Random Journal Entries, June 18

So I simply am too lazy to write anything new.  Please enjoy these journal entries instead.

Today, more than any other day, has tested my resolve to be a Peace Corps volunteer.  As a short summary, the day began well enough.  I enjoyed my morning routine and departed for my garden patch.  This is where i began to crumble.  The seeds that I planted Wednesday morning have yet to adequately sprout.  This concerns me only because it may have repercussions on my image.  If the intelligent white man can't get seeds to sprout, than how intelligent is he really?  Following this disappointment, I hurried to break my angady (shovel), snapping the handle cleanly into two pieces.  That in itself should have been omen enough.  But the day got worse.  I discovered I had missed a meeting this morning.  Oops.  And shortly following that error I waited, in vain, for a meeting to begin.

By the time lunch came I was on the verge of tears.  Shamed by my own omissions and errors, for failing to live up to my expectations.  The meal, however, turned my day around.  It was crab, delicious crab, and when you have that sitting on your plate the day becomes a little brighter.  Following that appetizing meal the meeting that I thought would never materialize took place, albeit two hours late.  Round out the day was a leisurely visit to a neighboring village, some gifts for the return, and a refreshing shower.  Justifiably or not, I sit here writing and feeling remarkably buoyant about my day and the prospects in the week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment