Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Random Journal Entries, June 19

As I pen these words I sit on the stoop of my humble home in the North of Madagascar.  Peace Corps life affords ample opportunity for reflection and today i have chosen country; the U.S.A.

Madagascar, the place where I have been training, learning, and working since February is celebrating its fifty-first anniversary of freedom from French rule on June twenty-sixth.  I say this only to draw comparison.  For if Madagascar, a country still marred by political chaos, can find reason to celebrate itself, what does that say of us. 

Namely, that excluding the Fourth of July - a day where all men are patriots - we find so much to fuss about.  True enough, the U.S. still has problems.  Politicians are politicians, money is misspent, and a great deal of time is equally wasted amidst the noise of bureaucracy.  But put these things in perspective, as living overseas has allowed me to do.

We as Americans, everyday, enjoy the privileges of an affluent and above all free society.  Not only are most of us (I will not say all) free to choose our educations and careers, but the road is paved to get there (and I say this literally and figuratively.  Trust me, you don't appreciate your highway department until you realize what life would be without one.)  Each day, we as Americans could choose something new and unique to celebrate.  And, by the end of the year, still have many things left unpraised and unacknowledged.

So on the Fourth, the fifth, the sixth, and everyday for the rest of the year, celebrate the place you call home.  Until you are very, very far away it is far to easy to take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment